Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes (Halloween Design)

Happy Halloween Everybody!!  I hope you are having a spook-tacular day!  I wanted to get one last Halloween nail art design in before it's all over, I was just having a hard time deciding what to do.  Then my daughter wanted to watch a marathon of "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" movies.  She had never seen them before and since she loves horribly bad movies, and it is Halloween, I said ok.  Hence the idea for my newest design...Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!!!

I Used:
Wet-n-Wild Fantasy Makers- Nail in the Coffin (glittery black)
China Glaze- White on White
LA Colors- BCC 660 (dark red)
LA Colors- Palm Tree (green)
China Glaze- Liquid Leather (black)
2- smallest dotting tools (click here for tips on alternative dotting tools and brushes)
Liner Brush

So here is the finished design:
I love how they turned out.  And here's how I did it:

Start with two coats of Nail in the Coffin.  I did put a thin coat of top coat to give me a smooth surface to work on.  Even though the glitter is extremely subtle, it is there and made a bumpy work surface.


Then, so the color would show, I painted white tomato shapes.  I used a small brush to do this, but the brush that came with the polish would have worked much better and given a more even finish.  Remember, tomatoes are far from round, so don't worry about them having to be perfect.  In fact, they shouldn't be perfect.


Next, cover the white with red polish.  I had to use two coats to make the tomatoes look even since the white wasn't.  Using a dotting tool, make the eyes by placing the dot and moving it just slightly, like you're drawing a very short line.  Then using a smaller dotting tool, make the pupils.  I used a liner brush (just a very thin, long brush) to make the mouths.  I just drew a line.  Using the same brush make very short lines for the fangs.  For the stems, I put a couple of drops of the green polish and the white polish on my plate (or sheet of paper works perfectly too) and dipped my brush into both colors to paint the stems.  They didn't show up using just the green.  The last step was the top coat.

I hope y'all enjoy my spooky, killer design and I hope everyone has a safe and fun Halloween!!  Happy Polishing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment